Wednesday, September 30, 2009

21st Century Learning Skills

Are you a digital native or a a foreigner in a digital land?  If you have no idea what I am talking about and you are education, have I got some news for you.  I've discovered a new recipe for an old standby.  "Doing school" with paper and pencil is a thing of the past.  Technology is the way of the future.  As educators, we need to be lifelong learners and this is one area we need to jump on before it and our students pass us by.

I know what you are saying.  "I can't do one more thing!"  "What!  Another computer something!"  "I just don't get computers!"  Well, I hate to tell you, but we live in a digital age and our students are digital natives.  They have the knowledge, but they need some guidance.  They live in a world of social networks, IM's, cell phones and texting.  We need to take their desire to use technology and make them better students.

The Partnership for 21st Century Skills website is a great place to start.  Here you will find what is means to be a 21st Century learner.  You may have to be the learner first in order to be the teacher later.  You may already feel ready to take on the challenge.  Wherever you are in the spectrum, give this website your attention.

You may be surprised like I was with all the corporate sponsors.  The market place understands the importance of making sure our youth will be prepared to meet the challenges of the future workplace.

I know when you first go to the site, you might be a bit overwhelmed.  Check out the Tools and Resource section.  Pick one area that interests you.  For me it was Route 21 in the Online Tools.  Do what I did.  Pick an article that you want to learn more about or that relates to what you teach.  Ask yourself, how can I help my students using the information this article is giving me.  Or just take a look at what some of the states are doing to promote technology in the classroom.

Like it or not, our students are digital natives.  We need to lead the way instead of following behind.  Just like trying a new recipe for the first time can be a little nerve racking and frustrating, having a new recipe work for you is just at exciting and rewarding.  Remember today's new recipe is tomorrow's favorite!  Give  the 21st Century  Learning Skills a try!  Remember what momma told you, "Don't say you don't like it if you haven't tried it!"

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post about the 21st Century website, especially because it was written as if you were talking to me, your reader. When you commented about how you will have to be the learner before being the teacher, I thought that you really pin-pointed what will need to happen for those of us who are indeed digital foreigners. Honestly though, there is nothing wrong with that process! Often times I think that we forget how we attended classes and was provided instruction on pedagogical processes, during our undergraduate studies. This process of acquiring new skills and knowledge is no different. It was helpful that you also addressed common frustrations and the nerve racking process that some educators may encounter along the way. It is important for us to know that we do not stand alone with this learning curve and that by working through these common frustrations or our sense of fear, that we can ultimately deliver our students to a job market that they are fully prepared for. Finally, I agree that the Route 21, Online Tools tab is a great place to begin! Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,

    I have to say that I also really enjoy the way that you convey your message through your blog. The 21st Century Website is quite overwhelming and I really liked the personal stance that you took in your suggestions of navigation.

    I'm not sure that we can totally state that paper and pencil are quite yet a thing of the past. I do realize that they are following the way of the postal service and hand written checks!

    Still, your points are excellent and your blog is inviting. I look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete