Sunday, November 1, 2009

Integrating Technology in the Classroom

     This is the end of our course at Walden.  It's time to taste the soup.  How have all the ingredients added up?

     I've always considered myself pretty savvy when it comes to technology.  This course has made me realize that I'm savvy on the "old" way of doing things.  There are so many new methods and new technologies, that I was really out of step.  I now know what a wiki, a blog, and a podcast are.  Not only do I know what they are, I now how to use them.  I have learned about technology and more importantly I have learned how to use technology to make myself a better teacher.

     I also have realized that the classroom is becoming more student centered than teacher centered.  That is a hard pill to swallow.  But, since we all need to be lifelong learners, learning from our students is just another source of knowledge.  In the areas of technology, are students are really more like digital natives than we are.  I've also realized that I need to become more globally aware and in turn teach my students to be global learners.  The content of information is out there, everywhere.  It is now my responsibility, as an educator, to teach my students to be wise consumers.  Somethings haven't changed, however.  Students still need to know that you care about them and are concerned for them as they learn.

     I will continue in my Masters program, Integrating Technology in the Classroom.  I'm looking forward to the other courses in the technology core of my classes.  I will be keeping up with other teachers ideas on blogs and wikis that I have come across through this class.  I have also made friends with other classmates.  They have been great sources of information in the technology field.  Going to conventions and conferences in the area of technology is another way I will continue to increase my knowledge base.

     Goals for the future:  As the computer lab instructor at our school, I have much to gain and many resources available to me.
     My first goal would be to take advantage of the network of schools in the association our school belongs to (Association of Christian Schools International).  I would like to create a pen-pal group among ACSI schools.  This would create so many opportunities for students to learn globally.  Within these groups, different assignments could be created in which the students from different parts of the world would have to collaborate to finish an assignment.  In order to achieve this goal, I would need to meet with our local administration and than with the ACSI administration.  This is a very doable and achievable goal.
     Another goal I would like to set for myself is to suggest to our administration that we need a technology integrationist in our school.  I didn't realize that technology is an area in TNCLB law, and I am sure they are not aware of that either.  We are doing a pretty good job in the lower school (grades 2-6) and in the high school (grades 9-12) at our school.  But there are major gaps in the early education programs (K2-1st grade) and middle school (7th & 8th grades).  Just like there is a scope and sequence in  the core subjects, there needs to be a scope and sequence in technology.  Technology is the future for today's students.  If we want to provide an excellent education, technology must be part of the equation.  This goal will be a bit harder to attain, but it is still doable.  This position would require funding, which would be the biggest obstacle.  The administration of the school would need to see the need for such a position.  I will continue to do what I am doing in the computer lab, and I will continue to keep integrating technology.  The projects we complete this year will give evidence to what is possible in the realms of technology.  I will continue to learn more and provide information to the administration, keeping them informed.

     The world had become flat and we need to change up the way we "do" school.  Just like in today's health conscience world where we have to change our favorite standby recipes, we have to change our recipes for providing knowledge.  Change is good. Trying new recipes is good.  Like my mom used to say, "Try it!  You might like it!"

1 comment:

  1. Denise,
    This is a sensational post. Isn't technology fun? It is amazing how much more we still have to learn...I am really enjoying being the "student" again myself. Keep up your love for learning the "techy-talk" and teach us, teach-us, teach-us teach-us!!

    ReplyDelete